Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Weekly Log 3-Sep to 9-Sep-2018:

Monday:  bike 19, run 5
Often I take Mondays off, but on holidays (today is Labor Day), it's harder to pass up.

AM:  Met up with Mikey B for the usual easy ride along the coast (Watch Hill, Misquamicut, Weekapaug).  We stopped at the Innlet in Weekapaug for iced coffee and conversation.  Had really good talks on our kids off to college, Tom and Chris at a different stage with their kids, our respective injuries (although I'm definitively on the mend and Mike is not), and how we both want to get back to more biking next year and resume tris.

PM:  After taking care of some home chores, the sun came out, and since it is Labor Day, seemed appropriate to head to the beach.  I people-watched from my towel for about five minutes, but then got bored and went out for a run.  Every part of my run had a distinct vibe, from dodging tourists at the state beach, watching the drunkards and very scantily clad ladies at Paddy's Beach Club, to the enjoyable quiet section headed down to Seaside (where we'll be running the Stavros Beach Run in 10 days!).  Mikey had a cold water bottle waiting for me at Seaside, and I caught up for just a moment before finishing and jumping in the ocean.  Good finish to the day.

Tuesday:  0 run, 2 walk
Morning exercise was a fairly intensive set of PT exercises.  I feel like my range of motion is really improved because of these, even in my uninjured leg.  The side planks and single-foot jumps up onto/off of a box are still the hardest for me to do and also maintain balance, but others are now relatively a breeze, and I'm looking forward to a PT assessment next week.

Spent the rest of the morning at Avondale Preserve working with the Westerly Land Trust's Coffee & Clearing Club to spruce up the preserve.  My task was to liberate an old split rail fence from various weeds and bushes that taken it over.  Not the most fun task, especially in the heat, humidity, and direct sun, but I love the Westerly Land Trust and giving back to it is a no-brainer for me.

I thought about running in the afternoon, but hearing a heat advisory on the weather forecast made it easy for me to nix that.

Wednesday:  8
Workout Wednesday.  First speed workout since the injury in early June.  Temp was only in the low 70s, but humidity was pretty bad.  I was soaked early into the run.  Declining ladders from 5 minutes hard down a 15-second sprint.  I wanted to quit and walk so many times.

Got to Misquamicut State Beach and was salivating for a long drink at the bubbler.  It was completely shut off and removed!  What gives?  Cruel.  Matthew told me that the Watch Hill fountain was also shut off.  Ugh.  Google searches on both yielded no clues.  Anyone know anything about the Westerly water fountain caper?

Thursday:  5
Disappointingly sore and tight from yesterday's workout.  Baby steps, I guess.  Ran campground and Kimball trails at Burlingame.  Very easy, relaxed pace.  Dip in Watchaug Pond afterwards.  Lingered there and then at Dave's Coffee post-run, making me late for work.  That's not like me.  In a bit of a rut mentally; I need to reset.
The dregs of humanity:
Burlingame and Watchaug Pond are so beautiful,
and it annoys me to no end where careless people
treat the outdoors as their trash can.

Friday:  0

Saturday:  5 walk, 5 run
AM:  Work crew at Bradford Preserve.  Met up with Jeff Huckle and Schane Tallardy at 7am for a couple of hours of solid work.  Jeff and I focused on liberating the "Pumpkins Connector" trail, which was quite overgrown, in fact in a few places unrecognizable.  This will change over time with use.  Schane worked the XC loop and cleaned that up really well.

PM:  Solo run back at Bradford Preserve.  Ran the full Pumpkins 8K course.

Sunday:  11
Longest run since April!  Ran Carolina Management Area (South and then North sections) with Tommy and Chris.  Thanks much to Chris for putting this one together.  Mostly single-track, and felt good throughout.  As we finished up, I was only half-joking that we should go on the rope swing (over a deep swimming hole in Meadow Brook), but since Chris had stopped right near it, we went over to check it out.

Good ol' rope swings over the river.
Reliving my childhood.

That water is COLD!
The big kid took the plunge; the other two characters did not.

Weekly mileage:  36 run, 19 bike, 7 walk

Weekly synopsis:  Consistent week.  Ready to gradually up the distance and speedwork, pending favorable results from the PT next week.

Weekly highlight:  The group trail run and rope swing!

Weekly lowlight:  Garbage carelessly discarded at our state parks.  They come and use our beautiful state parks for free, and don't have the courtesy, respect, or common decency to clean up after themselves.  Makes me angry!


No comments:

Post a Comment