Monday, September 3, 2018

Wahaneeta 2018

Wahaneeta Trail 5K
Westerly, RI
Saturday, August 18, 2018

This was the 3rd year of our race at Wahaneeta Preserve.  In our debut year, we had 31 finishers (right around break-even point with our low priced entry and low cost race).  Last year and this year we had about 60 entrants and 50 finishers, which while we'd certainly like to see the numbers grow, is sustainable.

As I write this blog entry two weeks in arrears, my fading memory requires me to abridge this version to the memorable facts that I still have.  Last year I was scrambling at the last minute (literally, I had to start the race a few minutes late in order to get marshals out on the course.  Not cool).  This year, I planned a smidgen better and got there earlier to mark the course and left it to other volunteers to unpack and setup registration.  It had rained the night before, and while the rain had stopped prior to the race, all the trails were wet.  Which meant the wooden bridges were the absolute worst.  Matthew was helping with invaluable course marking, and he had the brilliant idea to block off a bridge that we crossed 3 times and flip up another bridge (to render it unusable) in the final stream crossing.  All streams were jump-able and it made for not only a safer crossing to just go over the stream and avoid the bridges, but also kept the course truer to a real trail race.

The lingering damp and cloudy weather also brought pesky deerflies and mosquitos.  They were most annoying during course marking and breakdown, but fortunately non-existent when we were running the race itself.
Start of the race.
Eventual winner Matthew (4 o'clock) out in front in good position;
second place finisher Chris (9 o'clock, green WTAC singlet) looks like he is either way back or
didn't pick the optimal starting position?
I'm smack dap in the middle of this pic.


SNERRO fired the starting gun, and we were off.  I was in about 8th place or so about 1/2 mile in.  Besides Bottone Mile three days prior, this would be the first race since my injury in June where I would actually "race" the race.  Still, I had no expectations being in recovery mode with little training or running in general.  Just before the first technical section with a slippery wooden bridge (that we couldn't move) and lots of rocks, I passed a couple of guys and then Aaron Tallardy.  Not sure how I was able to pass Aaron so quickly and easily; I guess he wasn't having a good day.  Anyway, I was right behind a pony-tailed barefoot guy who slid right off the bridge into the stream!  He did some jumping around and got back on the course, but on a downhill section I went right by him.  Colby was in my sights next. 
Finishing up lap 1.

I followed Colby for more than a mile before making my move.  In fact it was just past that same technical bridge/rocks, when we went past a second time that I moved past him.  Ever the gentlemen, he called out "good job".  I had no trouble staying ahead of him on the technical section near the dam/pond, but sensed I was in trouble when we headed down for the final stream crossing and he was back on my heels.  Sure enough on the final straight section to the finish line, he went past me.  I chased him right across the field, but as I mentioned to his Mom, I'm not going to be able to outkick a teenager.  He finished one second ahead of me.  I was really happy for Colby, and he certainly kept the race interesting for me instead of otherwise running as a island.

Final results:  22:37, 4th out of 50, 1st in age group.  Results here.

One minute off of last year's time, but obviously being injured and out of shape had something to do with that.  I was happy with my results and the race overall, as apparently were some of the other runners, judging by their comments:

  • Thanks for putting on such a great race! That was really enjoyable in spite of the conditions.
  • I was the one person that had to pull out of the race about halfway through. I tweaked my knee just at the end of the first lap; my knee is fine now, I was just being cautious. It was my first time running the race but I'll definitely be back again next year (with different running shoes). I'm hoping to run at least one of the other races you have in the fall so hopefully I'll see in Oct/Nov.
  • Thank you (and your team) so much for all of your work on today's race. My fiance, friends and I had so much fun participating, and we would not hesitate to run again. I tried to think of some constructive criticism, and honestly can't think of anything. The course was beautiful and well-marked. The communication was clear, and the coordination was perfect. 
  • Love the race! Great job on the logistics and course. Frankly, I could not see how anyone could have gotten lost with how well marked the course was.



Unfortunately, two people did go off course this year, and we understand now how that happened, and will work to improve it next year.  We really had a great group of volunteers and runners out there.

1 comment:

  1. If I remember correctly last year the bridges were also slippery. But I did fall at the start and could have smacked my head and that could have mixed up my memories between that race and other hikes there. Excellent call on Matthew's part to have people avoid the bridges while wet. Perhaps a few roofing shingles could be tacked on to help with traction? I'm sure that has some environmental concerns though.... Considering the extent of your injury and your advancing age I think a minute slower is pretty darn good recovery.

    ReplyDelete