Saturday, September 8, 2018

Weekly Log 27-Aug to 2-Sep-2018: Pawtuckaway 1st Visit

Monday:  0
My traditional rest day from running.  30 minutes of core and injury-specific PT exercises.
My "equipment" for PT exercises is slowing growing.
It certainly pales to Tommy's "torture chamber" in his basement.
Fresh-picked bounty from the garden.  Yum.


Tuesday:  6 run, 0.5 swim
AM:  Met up with Tommy for a pre-dawn run at Weekapaug.  Air was thick as pea soup, and I was having a tough go of the breathing for the first few miles.  Ran a bit of the sand trail and beach, before continuing on roads.  Somehow away from the beach the humidity was just slightly less oppressive.  Saw SS on the bike on the way back, and dawn broke as we got back to the beach and took a dip at Fenway Beach.  There were tiny no-tentacle, non-stinging jellyfish in the hundreds (or thousands) in the water around us.  Moon jellyfish?  Comb jellyfish?
Sun was just coming up as we finished.  Stopped at Town Beach
to take this pic.  I love the ocean.

PM:  Brutally hot today.  Upper 80s very close to 90 degrees downtown, only slightly better at the beach at 85 degrees.  Went straight from the office to the town beach, changed and went for a 1/2 mile swim sans wetsuit.  Those same tiny jellyfish were out again; at one point on return swim, I swam into a swarm of them and got a few in my mouth.  No harm, no foul.

Wednesday:  6
Sweaty, deerfly run in Noanet Woodlands, Dover, MA.  5 DFKs.  82 degrees already by 6:30am.  Ugh.
Short walk from office (Wellesley, MA) to get lunch; 98 degrees.  Just horrible.

Thursday:  0
Another scorcher.  My energy was just sapped, and lost motivation to run.

Friday:  5
Finally a break from heat and humidity.  7am run in Bradford Preserve.  Was on the field, just about to start my run, when I heard some yahoo yell from his truck going by on the road, "Hey buddy, get to work".  I turned; my brother Greg ribbing me.  Good stuff. Comfortable temps in upper 60s.  XC and 5K Pumpkins course in great shape; minor trimming only needed.  8K connector needs work, but that's short.
Deep in the woods, ran into a questionable character with his car up on blocks and scatter car parts and debris around the car and him.  Really, really weird.  He said, "I know this doesn't look good, but I was out test-driving a car".  Whenever I test drive a car, I usually drive it deep into the woods, and partially take it apart, so I told get that.  Yeah, right.  Like I said, weird.

Saturday:  10
Pawtuckaway State Park, NH.  We're up camping for 2 days as Matthew had his collegiate XC debut today (home 5K at UNH, 15:44, 3rd finisher for UNH!).  Rolled out of bed ... er ... sleeping bag, and hit the trails running.  Started off on a double-track which wasn't exactly what I was looking for.  But careful what you ask for!  Soon was on single-track with plenty of rocks, some mud, and definitely some climbing.  Later found out from Crutch that I was on part of the Vulcan's Fury trail race course.  Legs and lower back were feeling it after this run!
Both the fire tower and boulder field sound like fun, but
they're in different directions.  Chose the fire tower for today;
will come back to play in the boulder field.

Yikes!  Slow down crossing this "bridge".

Fun trails!

The "Devil's Staircase" en route to South Mountain

Firetower at South Mountain peak

Views from the firetower

Sunday:  7
Had hoped to explore more, but with legs still a bit banged up, conservatively dropped the distance just a bit and slowed the pace to more of a recovery.  Tried some new (to me) single-track today.  Plenty challenging and with massive boulders.  I'll be back.

In the afternooon, met up with Matthew and went for my first ever stand-up paddleboard (SUP).  Felt wobbly at times, but a lot of fun, and seemed less effort than kayaking.  (Although I certainly want to do more kayaking.)

Weekly Mileage:  32

Weekly Synopsis:  Mileage right in the "base" bandwidth I'm looking for.  Will be glad when this heat passes for good and we get into true fall weather. 

Weekly Highlight:  Running in Pawtuckaway State Park.  Really fun trails; look forward to coming back.

Weekly Lowlight:  The heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment