Sunday, September 16, 2018

Weekly Log 10-Sep to 16-Sep-2018: Cleared to Run!

Monday:  0
Woke up this morning to the pitter-patter of rain.  Felt really good and a bit odd, as I think it's been about three weeks since we've had any real rain here.

Went to my follow-up physical therapy session.  This was my 6th and final session following up to the June Adherent Nerve Syndrome injury.  Everything went well.  My range of motion in my legs is actually better than before the injury.  I haven't had pain since Schonning race two weeks ago, and I know that was due to too much racing in too short of a time.  After four weeks of base mileage in the 30s, I'm cleared to run anything I want, but obviously want to be prudent in gradually ramping up distances and racing.  Two promises I'm making to myself are 1) continue with core exercises at least twice per week, and 2) continue with some form of cross-training.  Everyone is different, and no guarantees I won't get re-injured tomorrow, but for me and where I am in my stage of life, I'm convinced this will help stave off injury.

Tuesday:  12
All about the XC today.  AM 5-mile run checking out the course post rain.  PM 7-miles in course setup (with Jeff Huckle), spectating, in the woods on course monitoring (one boy dropped a shoe!, and one girl was hyperventilating after the hill climb), and course clean-up.  Came home with dead legs.   Both Westerly boys and girls lost their meets, but it was fun out there none the same.  I've come to know runners on Westerly and Chariho teams, both threw Matthew's high school running as well as WTAC runs, and it was fun watching them progress.

Wednesday:  0
Lazy slob.

Thursday:  7
AM:  3.5 miles.  Easy shakeout on local neighborhood roads, with a few telephone pole pickups.  Rain.

PM:  3.5 miles.  Stavros Beach Run!!  Race write-up forthcoming shortly.

Friday:  6
Went out to Burlingame for a trail run.  Reminded myself a few times to take it easy, as we have a 12-miler / workout combo planned for tomorrow.  At 75 degrees and sunny (4 pm), I really didn't want to put my short-sleeve orange shirt on.  I hemmed and hawed, and decided to be a rule breaker (orange required starting Sep 9 this year) and run shirtless, hoping I wouldn't run into anyone.  Ran down to the small beach at North Camp, then Sammy C's.  No one in sight, good.  Ran back on the much more popular Vin Gormley (a/k/a "Yellow Dot" trail), and ran into a solo hiker, who obviously didn't care I wasn't wearing orange, since he didn't have orange on himself.

Nonetheless, I should be wearing orange, and mentioning this on my Strava post, I did get some suggestions from Jonny on orange running shorts.  Thanks; I will check this out.

Saturday:  12!
Ninigret Park with Tommy 5K.  Longest run since April.  Warmed up for 4.5 miles, then went into a workout.  We were running on 0.8 mile gravel/dirt/grass trail, somewhat similar to what we'll race on next weekend at Goddard State Park.  Ran 4 x (5 minutes hard, 2:30 jog).  Ran based on feel, and did not check watch much.  My average paces (which I only know after the fact) were as follows:

  • Lap 1:  6:30
  • Lap 2:  6:31
  • Lap 3:  6:37
  • Lap 4:  6:20

Clearly I fell off a bit by Lap 3 and was feeling the fatigue.  Does Lap 4 suggest that I left too much out there?  That's my usual pickup in the final iteration of a workout, when mentally I know I'm almost done.

View from the end of "Fishing" segment.  Not too shabby.
You can just make out my torso and head in the middle of this pic.
Love jumping in watering holes, ponds, and oceans at end of runs.

Sunday:  8
Woody Hill trail run with Tommy and Jonathan.  Start/finish on Fallon Trail, to mix it up, with a CCW tour of Wahaneeta, Woody, and Bradford Preserve on some of the usual trails.  Soupy weather with fog rolling in.
These three guys were hanging out when I arrived for my run.

Weekly mileage:  46!

Weekly synopsis:  With being cleared to ramp up the miles and basically run anything, I'm trying to be smart about it.  My own guidelines, some of which I am reiterating from above:

  • Continue the leg and core exercises weekly.
  • Continue (or resume) cross-training.  This will get harder in cold weather.
  • Be smart about ramping up both weekly mileage, long run and race distances.  The 10% weekly increase is a good rule of thumb, and it also means no marathon in 2018.

With the above in mind, after four weeks of "base" mileage in the 30s, this was my first foray north of 40 miles in months.  Will plan a slow ramp up from here, with a lesser mileage recovery week every four weeks or so.

Weekly highlight:  The Stavros Beach Race, no doubt about it.

Weekly lowlight:  Being too lazy on Wednesday, and having to run my shakeout on Thursday morning for a Thursday night race.  I need to "man up" a bit on my morning motivation and stop hitting the snooze button.





No comments:

Post a Comment