Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Battle of Stonington 5K

Battle of Stonington Logo

Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Stonington, CT.  Celebrating victory over the British in this War of 1812 battle.

Results here.  17:58!!  11th overall out of 244.  2nd in my age group.


Start of 2012 Battle of Stonington 5K
Late getting to race meant a short warm-up time (with Matthew), but possibly warded off the pre-race jitters I often have.  RD Steve Bessette announced this was the biggest Battle attendance ever, about 70 more than last year.  Serious competion here tonight with the top 5 all going under 16 minutes. 
I couldn't find Matthew at the start, until the race took off and I saw him - ahead of me!  A bold start (see him extreme left front in photo above).

End of lap 1:  half-way mark at 9 flat
Jeff Duda and I ran within footsteps of each other, just like 2011,
but a different outcome this year
I ran one of the most consistent races of my life:  5:43 / 5:46 / 5:46, with a 5:10 pace for final 0.1 sprint.  I was pushing it hard, but felt good the whole time.  On the final stretch from the cannons up to the library, there were two teenagers in my sight that I caught and passed.  I sprinted the final "uphill", expecting them to retake me, and they never did.
The teen age group winners got gazelled
by someone 3 times their age!
I saw the clock ticking 17:50, 17:51, ..., and pushed it wondering if I could actually get under 18 this time, the only time close this year being 18 flat at Super 5K.
17:58!  Yes!  2nd fastest 5K in my life, and I've run a few 5Ks.  What a feeling!  Took home a bottle of wine for my efforts.  Caught up with so many runners I knew afterwards, including a huge contingent from NRA.  Congrats to fellow WTAC'ers Mike B and Mike C for PRs!  Mike B went sub-19 for the 1st time ever and just 9 seconds from placing in a stacked race.  Matthew and neighbor/friend Jonny Eckel finished in an identical and impressive 20:48, just 4 seconds off Matthew's recently minted PR.
Apres-run celebration with WTAC running friends Mike B and Mike C

1 comment: