Sunday, August 12, 2012

Holy Cow Trail Stampede 10K




Westminster, Colorado.
Results here6th place out of 105.  39:40/6:24 pace.  1st in age group.
Wasn't sure how I was going to do with 80 degree heat, 5,300' elevation, and less sleep than I'd like, but how can I pass up a nearby trail race with a name of "Holy Cow Trail Stampede"?!
Lined up at the start and looked around for fellow Westerly runners, but couldn't find any.  They must have been out for a warm-up run.


Along the race course on Big Dry Creek Trail

Race finish:  the only part on tarmac
Ran the 1st split in 5:58, but had to back way off for remaining miles.  Took water at every stop.  Splits for mile 2 - 6:  6:23, 6:19, 6:21, 6:34, 6:27.  Picked it up on the final stretch for a 5:54 pace to pass a final runner to take 6th place.

Bridge crossing on the course

Runners finishing up race

My "gold" award for winning age group


It was cool to win my age group and put Westerly, RI on the map!  There was a long break before awards, so I ended up running the 5K course for a cool-down.  The race was still going on, so I stopped at each water stop to relax and refresh.

1 comment: