Sunday, August 12, 2012

Rocky Mountain High

YMCA of the Rockies and Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, CO
Elevation 8,010'

Morning run:  Started off the day with a very cool run (literally, it was 47 degrees!).  I'll let the photo essay below tell today's story:


Grounds of the YMCA where I'm staying and started
my run.  Yeah, the view isn't too shabby!


Heading out on neat singletrack trail on
YMCA property


Whoa, came around the corner on the trail and face-to-face with this guy!
Thought it was a moose at first, but a ranger I later showed photo to confirmed it as an elk.


Ran along Glacier Creek, the boundary
between YMCA and Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park
 

Jana came out with for a second loop and
shot this photo of trail crossing the
Glacier Creek into RMNP

Trail continued into National Park, but I only followed for a
couple miles as I was completely winded at altitude.
I'll be back tomorrow morning ...


"You can take the boy out of the jungle, but ..."

Afternoon hike:  Family hike inside Rocky Mountain National Park


Bierstadt Lake:  elevation 9,500'
 
I was sitting on log at lake eating my lunch,
when I heard rustling in the grass and this
guy came out right next to me!
(I'll leave Jonny to identify.)

Evening swim:  I'm guessing altitute has a huge factor here swimming at 8,010 feet also, as the three of us were dead swimming just a few hundred yards, and it made swimming in the ocean back home at recent triathlons seems like a breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment