Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Colorado Adventures: Weekly Log 13-Aug-12 to 19-Aug-12

Monday:
6 miles.  Estes Park, CO.  Elevation 8,010'.
Didn't have much time before leaving, but explored a little further into Rocky Mountain National Park today.

Before sunrise, elk were bolder and
came right out on the Y grounds

Between good trail signs and
a trail map, I never got lost
in RMNP

Another day of awesome views while running the trails
in Rocky Mountain National Park
Tuesday:
9 mile morning run.  Telluride, CO.  9,500' elevation.  Ran the "easy" Boulevard Trail today.  Totally winded.  0.5 mile in, my Garmin died.  Panic!  Somewhere out there, Greg H is smirking and telling me to just leave the watch behind.



Afternoon:  Mesa Verde National Park with family:
Climbing up 32' ladders to Pueblo
cliff dwelling ruins
Pueblo "Balcony House" ruins
circa 1200AD
Wednesday:
8 miles.  Uncompahgre National Forest.  PR!  What kind of PR, you ask?  That would be an elevation gain running PR:  1,100'.  Not as in I ran 100' up and down 11 times, but rather I started at 9,500' and my highest point was 10,600', so total elevation climb would be even more.
I am not ashamed to say I ran some 11-minute miles and took a number of breaks, but I didn't walk any and was thrilled I did it.  The screaming downhill finish was intoxicating and insane.

Along today's trail

3 miles into my run today,
damn near all uphill climbs

Cool forest singletrack
up at 10,600'
3 miles downhill to finish:
somewhere in the valley is where I started

Afternoon:  Strenuous family hike (Matthew picked it) up to 11,900'.  Followed by frolicking in the pool.  It was all good until reality hit when my boss reached me and asked if I could sign on to help resolve a technology problem that was holding up a project.  Arggh!

Thursday
14 mile mountain run! 
  • Elevation range:  9,300' to 11,200' (not a typo)
  • Temperature range:  47 degrees at start, 61 at finish (perfect running weather)
  • Humans encountered:  1 (another crazy early morning trail runner at start)
  • Animals encountered:  chipmunks and marmots (wierd gopher looking animal living in rocks)
  • Course:  Prospect Trail (billed as longest single-track at Telluride at 10 miles), plus a few trail spurs added on
  • Views:  priceless!
Neat stream, sorry "creek", crossing
Trail crosses cool rock strewn field;
I had to stop and climb the rock pile
Priceless views along the trail
Which way does the trail go?
"It's better to get lost in the woods than
in a maze of cubicles" - Merrell
Soaking my weary body in Ouray Hot Springs Pool
after a tiring day of mountain running, hiking, and lap swimming
400 yards at Ouray

Friday:
4 miles was all I could fit in early morning before checking out and the long drive back to Denver.  Re-ran the "easy" gravel Boulevard Trail with "only" a 300' continuous climb.
Afternoon break enroute at Garden of the Gods, where we ran on and jumped on the freakish rocks:
Garden of the Gods,
Colorado Springs, CO
Saturday: 0 (flight day back to RI)

Sunday:
15 mile early WTAC group run with Muddy and Mike B.  Wood River Junction to Carter Preserve trails, roads through Shannock, back Pine Hill Road in Richmond to North-South trail back to WRJ.  "Jonny's run", but without trailmaster Jonny we inadvertently took a shortcut and left out the "fun" uphill climb along the power lines.  Actually felt good running up Shannock Hill - was that because I didn't have Jonny pushing the pace uphill today, or because the mountains and altitude in CO helped me?  I'm going with both.
Good running company; I don't think I would have been able to get this one out on my own being tired after two consecutive days of travel.
Afternoon:  3 miles barefoot on sand from Westerly Town Beach to Seaside and back.  Apparently none of us got in enough running from this morning's long run?   Muddy went out for a few more.  The two CT Mikes went for a 5-miler on the beach at Noon.  Does that make 20 miles on the day for Mike B and a record for him?  Caught up with Mike B again at Seaside.  Mike C had bailed before I got there (apparently he had heard I was on my way and high-tailed it out of there - I can understand that).

Weekly mileage totals:
Run:  59 miles!
Swim:  0.25 miles

Week in review ramblings:
  • Our country is just so massive, and so beautiful.
  • Pace doesn't mean much in the mountains; it's just more indicative of your elevation gain/loss, altitude, and how trashed your legs are at any given moment.
  • After the week I had out west, it's going to be really tough to go back to that maze of cubicles in the concrete jungle tomorrow.
  • Don't ever take for granted our proximity to the ocean - certainly one thing I missed out in CO.
  • I've been prying Muddy for his fall marathon plan, while I still have yet to make my own.  Decision within the week.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like great family and running fun in CO. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous of your trip - sounds awesome. Wish i could have run up that mountain with you on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your views beat the heck outta mine!!! See you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete